Wednesday, April 15, 2015

PHX Stages Q/A: Matt Newhard

photo: Wade Moran
Matt Newhard is a chameleon in his ability to look and sound different in every role he plays, and he has played a lot. Just in the past 18 months he's starred in three Scottsdale Musical Theater Company productions - as Harold Hill in The Music Man, the Emcee in Cabaret and Leo in The Producers, appeared in his first play as the murderous husband in Dial M For Murder at Desert Stages and also starred as the nervous and tense Max in Desert Foothills' Lend Me a Tenor. He even played a cameo role in DST's Jesus Christ Superstar concert production last Summer. Not only did he easily morph from one role to the next with ease but he also expertly portrayed a wide age range - from Tenor's Max, who is in his early 20's to the late 30's diabolical Tony in Dial M. This weekend he stars in ProMusica Arizona's original musical, The Unpredictable Adventures of Henry Hicklebee. He can sing, dance, do drama and comedy and if that isn't enough talents for one man, to add to his acting abilities and to quote a song from 1776, "he plays the violin" as well. Even though he's a very busy guy, he took a few minutes to sit down and answer some questions specifically for PHX Stages....

Name: Matt Newhard

As Leo in The Producers
Scottsdale Musical Theater - 2015
photo: Madison Truman
Where you were born and or raised: Born and raised in Phoenix, AZ and a 3rd Generation native to Arizona. Grandpa on my mother's side was born in Tombstone.

What made you decide to stay in Arizona?: The main driving force is I don't like the cold, and I love the sun. I toss up the idea every now and again to move away, but it hasn't happened yet.

Siblings: 1 Sister, 14 years older than myself.

Family/Children: My wife Lindsay of 1 year, and our cats.

Day job: Clerical\Financial at JDA Software in Scottsdale.

First show you ever saw: Starlight Express in Las Vegas when it was permanently playing at the Hilton. I'm sad though because when they tour they don't usually do as many stunts. I would love to see it in Germany!

Moment you knew you wanted to perform: I knew I've always wanted to try to be a performer. It took years and lots of prodding to get me to even audition; that was in my early twenties. Ever since I was in my first show, I knew that it was something that I wanted to be good at, and I think I'd be living a very different life if I wasn't cast after that first audition, that's how scared I was.

in Dial M for Murder
Scottsdale Desert Stages -2014
Photo: Heather Butccher
The one performance you attended that you will never forget:  Peter Pan with Cathy Rigby. Something about that show rings a bell with me. Plus, she was fantastic!

First stage kiss: Oklahoma! It was my second show, and I kissed Ado Annie as the peddler Ali Hakim. I actually kissed her several times during the show so I had to get over the awkwardness pretty quick. My Ado was great about it. I've done so many now that they don't bother me at all and I try to make the other person feel comfortable about it if they're nervous.

Best stage experience you’ve had so far: Dial M for Murder - The show was excellent, and the cast worked so well together on and off stage. We sold out every night during our 12 week run, and then the entire cast and crew went to Disneyland for our cast party. I mean, how can you beat that?!

What has been the most fun or fulfilling aspect of your current/most recent show? I'm bringing to life an original work with ProMusica AZ. That is always a challenge, but a real thrill to create something of my own that's never been done. The show is The Unpredictable Adventures of Henry Hicklebee coming this April!

Most challenging role you have played onstage: Sweeney Todd, without a doubt. A very complex, tragic character that is made even more difficult when backed by a Sondheim score. I would play that role again and again if given the opportunity.
     
with Debra Qualtire in 
ProMusica AZ's production of Sweeney Todd
Leading role you've been dying to play: Joe Gillis in Sunset Boulevard or Javert in Les Miserables - The pie in the sky role would be The Phantom in Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical.

Pre-show rituals or warm-ups: I mostly like to sit calmly while putting on makeup or waiting for the curtain. Vocally I warm up in the shower, or my car. I tend towards having some pretty extreme stage fright, so I try not to work myself up. That way I also conserve all my energy for the stage.

Worst flubbed line/missed cue/onstage mishap: One time during the final scene in Jekyll and Hyde I was supposed to shoot Jekyll as he lunged at me. The actor playing Jekyll batted at the prop gun I pointed at him as usual, but this time the chamber opened, and all the blanks fell onto the stage. I dropped down and tried to find one but couldn't, so I did the most logical thing I could think of when he lunged. I clubbed him to death with the handle of the gun. I'm 5'8 and our Jekyll was over six feet tall so it felt a bit awkward. The audience didn't seem to notice this as a mistake, or at least they never mentioned it.

Worst costume ever: Usually the only bad costumes I end up in are for promotional pictures when trying to scrounge up something pretty quick. These are then replaced by the real ones later on, so can't think of any bad ones.

Best costume ever: Captain Hook in Peter Pan. That costume was decked out with all sorts of embellishments and an awesome wig. It was easily the most difficult costume to quick change into from Mr. Darling into Captain Hook for the curtain call. My wife helped a lot with that change!

Your go to audition song: Stars from Les Miserables - It's a song that I can sing in my sleep, and even if I have a cold or other throat issue it usually comes out well. Hopefully I'm auditioning for a baritone part in that case though, and not a tenor.

Worst audition experience: All of them. I cannot stop shaking during an audition and it is by far the worst theater experience I can personally go through.

If you could go back in time and catch any performer or show, what would they/it be?  I'd love to see either Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard, or Michael Crawford, Sarah Brightman, and Steve Barton in Phantom in London, just to have the experience.

Famous past stage or screen star(s) you would have loved to have performed with:  Angela Lansbury. I guess she's still a current star, but I love her work.

Janis Webb, Harold LeBoyer, Matt Newhard and Roy Hunt
in Desert Foothills Theater's Lend Me a Tenor - 2014
Photo: Tiffany Marie Bolock
Your personal acting idols:  Christopher Plummer, Patrick Stewart            

Favorite play(s): The Foreigner, Lend Me a Tenor    

Favorite musical(s):  Too many to list!

Some favorite modern plays/musicals: The Kinky Boots recording sounds fun, but I haven't seen the show. Same with Book of Mormon.

Favorite showtune(s) of all time: "Lonely Room," "Who I'd Be," "Stars," "Music of the Night," "Epiphany"

Most listened song/music on your iPod/Phone? Depends on my mood. There are times when I can't stand showtunes so it'll be Metal or Country.

First CD/Tape/LP you owned:  The Phantom of the Opera (Original London Cast)

Last good book you read: Ender's Game

Guilty pleasure binge watching tv show: I'm not much of a tv binge watcher but I do watch a whole lot of YouTube

Last good movie you saw: Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

Favorite movie: V for Vendetta

Music/book/movie that makes you cry: Marley & Me

Favorite restaurant in the Valley: Ah-So Sushi

Favorite cities: Northampton, PA

Sports teams you root for: ASU, Cardinals, Patriots, Penn State, Diamondbacks

Something about you that might surprise people: I personally believe I have so much more to learn as an actor. I consider myself more a singer than an actor.

Special skills: Violin

Best non-theatre job you've had: Scoutmaster in the Boy Scouts of America for a few years. Not a paying gig, but I loved it!

in Cabaret
Scottsdale Musical Theater Company -2014
Photo: Jessica Cole
Three things you can't live without: Wife, Cats, iPhone    

Words of advice for aspiring performers: If you try to learn something from each audition or show, you will improve!

What you love most about theatre in Phoenix: Most of them are very accepting of new or unseasoned actors.

What you think needs to be changed/improved/different about theatre in Phoenix: The view that everyone is competing against each other. The theaters around the valley should work together to plan out seasons so the same shows don't overlap several times a year and cause audience (and actor) fatigue.

And, the “Inside the Actors Studio” 10 questions:

1. What is your favorite word? Plethora

2. What is your least favorite word? Chores

3. What turns you on? Authentic smiles.

4. What turns you off? Fakeness

5. What sound do you love? Chirping at Sunrise

6. What sound do you hate? Car horns

7. What is your favorite curse word?  Damn

8. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?  Writing

9. What profession would you not like to do? Waiter

10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
Come see your mom and dad; they're so happy to see you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.