Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A chat with Kate E. Cook, currently staring as "Roxie" in Phoenix Theatre's CHICAGO

Kate E. Cook in Chicago - Phoenix Theatre 2015
photo: Erin Evangeline Photography
by Gil Benbrook

Saying that Kate E. Cook "blew the roof off" the Phoenix Theatre with her performance as Roxie in Chicago, that opened last week, may sound like a quote that was written by a press agent, but here are what some critics said about her peformance: David Appleford commented, "Cook fully embraces the chance she’s been given to shine, which she does, brighter than those marquee bulbs hovering above," Kerry Lengel proclaimed "Cook is a knockout" and my own review stated that Kate is "a stellar triple threat." Cook's portrayal of this well-known musical theatre character is a refreshing take on the role, with shaded layers full of nuance, spunk, warmth, vulnerability and charm, all combined with a stellar singing voice.

Cook isn't a stranger to theatre in the Valley. This Phoenix native performed in youth theatres in town, in productions at Mesa High School and has appeared in dozens of musicals in the past few years, including several supporting turns at Hale Centre Theatre, but this is her first big lead role at the oldest professional theatre in Phoenix. It's been a whirlwind week for Kate since opening night, including winning an AriZoni award last night for her performance as Rusty in Hale Centre Theatre's Footloose last season, but she found a few minutes to take a break and sit down to answer some questions exclusively for PHX Stages...

Kate E. Cook in Chicago - Phoenix Theatre 2015photo: Erin Evangeline Photography
In the past 18 months, I’ve had the privilege to see you perform in eight shows: Oklahoma!, Dames at Sea, Footloose and 9 to 5 at Hale Centre Theatre and Mary Poppins, Anything Goes, the concert production of Oliver! and now Chicago with Phoenix Theatre. Needless to say, it seems like you never stop working. You’ve obviously been in a lot of shows, what do you take away from each successive production?

Every time you do a show, it is a new character, plot, set, costumes and a new family. The cast and crew you are with for the next few months become your closest friends. All of my best and dearest friends are people I met on the stage. So, for every show I get to take away new friendships and lasting relationships. Corny, I know.

What type of training did you have and did you perform in any shows in the many youth theatres in the Valley or in High School in Mesa?

I grew up doing children’s community theatre at theatres such as East Valley Children's Theatre and Desert Stages. I also was very involved with high school drama. I was in every production and was President of the Drama Club. I would not be where I was without my high school experiences. I was given many opportunities to play parts I never would have the chance to again. Go Jackrabbits!

This is your first lead role, at the oldest professional theatre in town, how does that change the way you approach your performance?

Jenny Hintze and Kate E. Cook in Chicago - Phoenix Theatre 2015
photo: Erin Evangeline Photography
At first, I was petrified. It was a really big deal and I knew I had to deliver. But, when I think about all the other shows I have done, I know that I don't have to approach this show any differently. Whether I am the lead, ensemble or the third tree from the right, the audience paid for a quality production. I will always give 150%.

Did you audition for the role of Roxie? And if so, what was the audition process like?

Funny enough, I auditioned for the role of Velma. Jenny Hintze (Velma) and I were originally called back for each others parts. After many callbacks of readings, they switched us. I remember leaving the callback and thinking, that was it.

Do you mean you left thinking you didn't get the job, or that the decision to switch the two of you made a perfect pair and that you'd get the job?  

I left thinking we got the job! It felt like such a good pairing!
Cook, center with Vinny Chavez
and Julian-Sebastian Peña
in Dames at Sea
Hale Centre Theatre - 2014
Photo: Sam Miller

What if any type of research did you do for your role?

As far as research of other people playing the role, I tried not to watch other performances. I try my hardest not to copy other performers' takes on a character, I always want to create my own sense of the person I am portraying. As far as history, Michael Barnard, our director, told us a little background on who our characters were based on. Roxie is based off of a murderer named Beulah Annan. I immediately went home and googled her, it was fascinating.

Did your opinion of Roxie change during the rehearsal process?

Yes, I found it a little difficult to connect with Roxie at first. I, myself, have never murdered anyone or cheated on my husband. But, as rehearsals went on, I found little quirks in her that I think everyone has, Her yearning for fame and recognition, her short temper and her need to feel loved. Even as shows go on, I fall in love with her a little more.

Well she is a very lovable character, even though she is a murderess and adulteress, I guess you can credit that to the way that Kander, Ebb and Fosse wrote her. Speaking of Roxie, what is your favorite moment in Chicago that you are a part of?

Kate E. Cook in Footloose
Hale Centre Theatre - 2014
Photo: Nick Woodward-Shaw
My favorite moment is the Roxie monologue before her big number. Performing on stage with all of the lights and music, sometimes you lose sight of the audience. In my monologue, I have the rare opportunity to go into the audience and have a conversation with the patrons.

That is a magical moment and you pull off the audience interaction part very well. But what about the opposite of that question - what is your favorite moment of the show that you are not a part of?

I am going to cheat because technically I am on stage for this moment. I love watching Jenny (Velma) perform "I Can’t Do it Alone." It is such a tough number and I think she does an amazing job. I want to applaud and yell for her every night, but unfortunately Roxie does not have the same feelings.

Kander and Ebb have written many memorable tunes. Do you have a favorite Kander and Ebb song and any particular reason why it’s your favorite?

I am going to be super cliché and say "Maybe This Time" from Cabaret. What girl, or guy for that matter, has not belted that song on their way to an audition, rehearsal or the grocery store? I mean, come on!

Favorite musicals?

42nd Street, 1776, Damn Yankees, Me and My Girl

Rebecca Bryce and Kate E. Cook in Oklahoma!
Hale Centre Theatre - 2014

Photo: Sam Miller
Dream roles?

Lola (Damn Yankees), Reno (Anything Goes), Jo (Little Women), Audrey (Little Shop), Absolutely anything in Wicked. I would play Boq if I had to.

I'm sure you'd make a fantastic Boq, though you may be a bit tall for the part! Since one of your dream roles is Reno in Anything Goes, I know you understudied that part at Phoenix Theatre last season, did you ever get the chance to go on during that run?

Unfortunately, I did not get to on as Reno. But it was a blast understudying Debby Rosenthall, she was amazing and so kind.

You grew up in the Phoenix area and performed in many featured roles and in the ensemble before landing a big lead role like Roxie in Chicago, what kind of advice do you have for other young, aspiring performers in town?

Be yourself! Don’t try to mold yourself into the “perfect performer”. Actors with personality are the one’s who book shows. Also, we have the best job in the world. Never lose your passion and joy for performing. Sometimes it is hard and stressful, but we are blessed to do what we love.

What has your experience been like working at Phoenix Theatre the past year and, specifically, in this production?

Absolutely wonderful. They are kind, professional and always create a great atmosphere. I would one hundred percent work with them whenever I could.

Kate E. Cook, Megan Power and Nicole Cox
Hairspray - Hale Centre Theatre - 2013
photo: Hale Centre Theatre
You recently moved to Seattle and were part of an experimental musical called The Great Wall. What can you tell us about your decision to move to Seattle and this musical that you were a part of?

I was born and raised in Arizona, and I got to a point in life where I wanted to take a leap. Seattle has an incredible theatre community and a ton of developmental projects. The weather isn’t so bad either. The production I was involved with was a blast. The book writer and music and lyrics composer were at almost all of the rehearsals. It was an entirely new experience. Scenes changed, numbers were cut all in a blink of an eye. You really had to be on toes at all times. It definitely pushed me as a performer.

Sounds like a great, challenging experience. What’s next for you?  Any shows lined up in Seattle?  Or do you have any other shows planned in the Phoenix area that we might see you coming up in? 

Right now, I am in the middle of multiple callbacks for shows. Both in Seattle and Phoenix. It is just a matter of how the cards fall!

1 comment:

  1. wow-this is really cool.Carry On Mesa High alumni-you're living the dream!

    ReplyDelete

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.